Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Awkward but worth it


I've never had any desire to personally meet any of my personal heroes or celebrities that I admire. Not only do I think it would sort of 'ruin the magic', but I know I'll have absolutely nothing to say to them and look like a complete moron. I guess this explains my reaction when I got on the elevator to my honeymoon suite and realized that I was standing right next to Edgar Davids! Actually it was more like my lack of reaction, because I completely froze in place and didn't say anything or look at him. We both went up one floor, I got out first, started walking to my room, and noticed that he was following me! Edgar Davids was staying 2 doors down from my room! Holy crap! The rest of the day I cursed myself for not talking to him or getting a picture, (also for taking my Ajax jersey off 10 minutes prior), and walked around with my camera all day hoping that I would run into him again. Sure enough, the very next day I was in the hotel lobby when I saw him walking towards me. I could barely whisper his name to get his attention and ask if I could take a picture and blah blah blah I love Ajax and am a huge fan. You can kind of tell from his expression that he wasn't exactly thrilled, and honestly I don't remember him saying anything besides maybe a grunt or two, so it was a little awkward, but I'm glad I did it. It was an unexpected encounter that lasted about 15 seconds, but I'll never forget it.