Thursday, August 21, 2008

Sno returns to Ajax

Ajax.nl is reporting that Ajax have signed 21 year old Celtic midfielder and former Ajax youth player Evander Sno to a 3 year deal. Sno recently played with Oranje in Beijing, receiving a red card in the first match vs. Nigeria and starting in the 2-1 loss to Argentina. He played 49 matches in all for Celtic, but failed to live up to high expectations after his transfer from NAC in 2006. My first impression when I saw this story was that he was going to come on in a defensive midfield role, but his comments today make me wonder where he is going to end up playing, “I want a place in the midfield, either in the holding role or trying to move forwards." Yeah, good luck with that....so, who knows what impact this signing will have, but I would say that I am not a big fan of Ajax signing players that "couldn't cut it" at other clubs. Does this mean the end of Ajax' interest in Robbie Wielaert? Hopefully not, but I would be a bit surprised if that did end up working out based on how badly Steve McLaren seem to want to keep him.

Matt said...

Nice pre-season Eredivisie round-up on the Guardian: http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/08/25/van_basten_bolsters_ajax_to_ta.html