Thursday, May 8, 2008

Why Ajax?


Being an Ajax fan in the U.S. is unique experience. Not only are we fans of a sport that ridiculed and unaccepted by most of the general population here, but on top of that, we love a team from Holland of all places ?!? Sure, Ajax is the biggest and most historically popular team in Holland, but I live in Washington DC, a large and culturally diverse city, and I can count the number of Ajax jerseys that I've seen in the four years that I've lived here on one hand! As a matter of fact, I'll be sporting my 07/08 away jersey at the DC United game tonight, and I'll bet I'm the only person at RFK wearing Ajax colors (look for me on ESPN, 7:30 EST, maybe I'll promote this site by streaking with the website written on my bum).
So whats our deal? Why the hell do we love this team? Does the uniqueness of being an Ajax fan just add to our passion for the team? Is it the history that we love? The style of play? Is it Wamberto? Whatever it is, if you read all the English Ajax sites, blogs and message boards out there, you know that there is a small group of hardcore Ajacied living in the U.S. and other places that could hang with the best F-Side supporters out there.
My own personal story is simple, I visited Amsterdam about 7 years ago and basically fell in love with Holland and everything Dutch. I remember when I returned, I happened to randomly tune in to Fox Sports World and recognized the red and white of Ajax immediately. As tough as it was to sit through a game narrated by Christian Miles, I was hooked immediately and watched every game that year. Since then I've attended a few games at the ArenA, and Ajax has become my favorite team in any sport, more or less replacing the typical American sports that I used to follow. Ik ben Ajacied!
If anyone is actually reading this blog, I've love to hear your thoughts/stories of being an Ajax fan in the U.S. (or anywhere outside of Holland)!